T – Times

Volume 30 Issue 6

October 2010

Three Rivers Model T Ford Club

P. O. Box 7083

Kennewick, WA   99336

“T-Times” is the publication of the Three Rivers Model T Ford Club and is published monthly solely for its members and exchange with other antique automobile groups.  Editorial copy and advertisements should be sent to: Editor 218 NE A Street College Place, WA 99324 by the 25th of the month for inclusion in the next month’s issue.

The Three Rivers Model T Ford Club is a chapter of the Model T Ford club of America.  Membership is recommended and encouraged.  Make membership requests to: MTFCA  P.O. Box 126 Centerville, IN   47330

2010 Officers

Club President 2010             Marlene Coder

Vice President                      Dean Stokes

Secretary                              Wanda Stokes
Treasurer                               Mike Porter

Newsletter Editor                  Dale Peterson

Board Members

1 Year  --  Dale Peterson

2 Year  --  Marlene Coder

3 Year  --  Russ Armstrong

The Three Rivers Model T Ford Club is dedicated to the restoration and enjoyment of the Model T Ford.  Ownership is recommended but not a requirement of membership.  Annual dues are $20.  Monthly meetings are held the third Thursday of the month at the Reata Springs Baptist Church, 2830 Leopold Lane, Richland, WA at 7:00 PM.


Special Dates

October birthday's are:  Sandi Ellenbaas (10/15)   Happy Birthday Sandi
Anniversaries are:  Mike & Carol Tesky (10/06) and Terry & Edris Shegrud (10/16)  Happy Anniversary to everyone.


Monthly Meeting Minutes

Three River's Model T Club
September 2010
President, Marlene Coder opened tonight's meeting with the Pledge of Allegiance.  Marlene exclaimed how good it sounded to hear our Nation's Pledge.  We had a good turnout of members for tonight's meeting.
Treasurer, Mike Porter, gave his report.  We have money in the bank.  He also has copies of other club's newsletters.
Secretary, Wanda Stokes, read last month minutes.  There were no additions or corrections.  Wanda also filled out our application for the states renewal notice for Unified Business identification information.  Mike Porter will send the $10 filing fee and mail this out.
Old Business
Dale and Sharon Peterson were absent to give any new updates on the upcoming trip to the San Juan Islands.  This trip should be breathtakingly beautiful this time of year.  Marlene reminded everyone to bring their passports and warm clothing.
Marlene and Larry have been unable to contact the Boy Scouts of America regarding a Model T instructional meeting.  This will be tabled until next Spring.
New Business
Marlene had a telephone conversation with Wayne Williams regarding our annual Christmas Party.  After much conversation, it was decided that time restrictions & health reasons, we should move the Christmas party to another location.  Dan Danko and Marlene will work on a spot for the party for 12/12/2010.  This brought up how most members felt that we should do the gift exchange.  After much conversation, it was decided to have the gift exchange announcing before the party that if you do not bring a gift, you cannot participate!  The gift should not exceed $10 and be gender neutral.  It was also suggested that the club provide a couple of extra gifts in case someone forgets to bring their gift.
Phyllis Langdon came up with a wonderful idea of having members describe their first Model T experience.  It was felt that this will be a great thing to do at next year's meetings.
Marlene also asked members to be thinking about elections for 2011.  We will have the ballot ready in October and elections held in November.  We also need to recruit two new Board of Directors for 2011.  Wanda read our Bylaws.  According to the bylaws of the club, the President is automatically a board member as is the past President which is Wanda.  We have Dale Peterson going off the board and that leaves Russ Armstrong.  Our bylaws state that we should have five board of directors members.  Fred Fraser volunteered to be a board director.  Phyllis Langdon also volunteered to be a board member.  President Marlene said that she would be President if no one else comes forward.  Treasurer Mike Porter and Secretary Wanda Stokes said they are willing to stay in their positions if no one else steps up.  With all of this in mind, as it stands now, next year's Board of Directors will be:
Marlene Coder (President), Wanda Stokes (past President), Phyllis Langdon (1year), Russ Armstrong (2 years),and Fred Fraser (3 years)
Jim Ellenbaas mentioned that a professional photographer was on tour for the Whitefish National Model Tour last month in Montana.  He posted on the MTFCA website forum several pictures of T's participating and out of all the Model T's that attended, several pictures of our own members were pictured.  Check it out, there are pictures of Ellenbaas's, Stokes's, and Bill Sheller.
Fred Fraser said that he would check with the Crest Museum about their annual history celebration at a cemetery in Richland depicting people who have passed away telling their life story.  This is usually held the weekend before Halloween and they asked for Model T's to participate.  Several members expressed interest in this.  The date is October 22nd and 23rd (Friday & Saturday).  Be on the look out for more information forthcoming.
With nothing more to come before the members, the meeting was adjourned.
Refreshments for October are the Porters.

Submitted by Wanda Stokes




Dale Peterson put the tour together, lining up the hotels for each night and made the reservation for the ferry to and from Sidney.  Otherwise all sightseeing was more or less spontaneous except we knew we’d like to see the Butterfly Garden and Butchart Gardens on Vancouver Island. 

Sunday, Sept. 19, Fred and Mary Fraser, Phyllis and Jim Langdon, Dale and Sharon Peterson and Russ and Jane Armstrong met at the Deception Café and Grill for lunch.  After lunch we drove to the Rosario Beach Marine Biology Station to park vehicles and trailers.  Peterson’s, Langdon’s, and Fraser’s all trailered their Model-Ts.  Armstrong’s drove their Acura as Russ had knee replacement surgery and driving the Model-T was still a challenge. 

The weather was a little drizzly off and on.  Fraser’s and Armstrong’s caravanned to the Deception Café.  On the way to Seattle a truck blew a tire just as he was starting to pass Fred.  Scared the pudding out of us.  Russ was behind Fred and pulled over to give the fellow room to do something.  He did manage to pull to the side of the road where his fender fell off.  We were thankful no one seemed to be hurt, it could have been a bad situation. 

As we pulled out of the Rosario Station Fred’s fan belt came off.  The guys got it fixed and we were on our way.  Fred had fan belt trouble several times so when we were on Orcas Island he bought a modern fan belt and that fixed the problem the rest of the trip.  That was really the only car problem anyone had. 

We drove to Coupeville and spent the first night at The Captain Whidbey Inn, a beautiful 1907 log inn.  We ate dinner at the Inn and had a complimentary continental breakfast the next morning.  The grounds are gorgeous, they have weddings there. 

 Monday we drove to Anacortes to catch the ferry to Orcas Island.  Arrived about 11:20 and had lunch at the Orcas Hotel Café.  The gals visited the gift shops around the ferry dock.  Then we drove to the Outlook Inn in Eastsound on Orcas Island where we stayed 2 nights.  The Inn was built in 1888 and is on the water.  We walked around town looking at the different shops.  Later we drove up to Mt. Constitution, the highest point on the Island at 2409 ft.  We walked up the Observation Tower which was a fire lookout built by the CCC in the 30’s.  The view was beautiful.  We saw whales close to shore. 

In the evening we had dinner at the Outlook Inn which was very good.  In fact all the food was good on the whole trip.  I tried to order seafood and fish as much as possible, Jim had fried oysters several times.  He likes fried oysters.  The weather was a little overcast but not cold or windy and the rain was not a problem. 

Tuesday we had breakfast at a local café.  Then drove around the Island looking at the sights.  The weather started off overcast but then the sun came out.   We visited Rosario Inn which was built by Robert Moran as his personal family home.  He had made his fortune as a ship builder and many details of his home reflect this influence.  The woodwork is beautiful.  There is a music room with a rack of organ pipes that would rival those of many churches.  Concerts were held regularly for the Moran’s and their guests and there is still a weekly concert on Saturdays.  We had dinner at Deer Harbor.  Sometime in our travels we stopped at an Art Gallery which had a display of various crafts made by local artisans, beautiful wooden bowls that were so thin they looked like paper, pottery, paintings, jewelry, knit items etc., beautiful workmanship.  Dale bought one of the wooden bowls, Sharon a knit scarf and Mary bought some yarn.    

Wednesday morning we had breakfast at a café in Eastsound before heading for the ferry to Friday Harbor.  The weather was beautiful and sunny.  We had lunch at The Cannery.  Then we drove around the island looking at the sights.  We stopped at The American Camp and learned about The Pig War which started in 1859 when an American shot an English pig that was trespassing on his property.  There had been a dispute between the two countries about who owned The San Juan's prior to the shooting of the pig.  Both countries set up camps, the Americans on the south end of San Juan and the British on the northern end of the island.  The “War” was settled by Kaiser Wilhelm I of Germany in 1879 when he decided in favor of the Americans. 

We stopped by Lime Kiln Point State Park, walked to a lighthouse, saw more whales close to shore.  We drove to the Hotel de Haro in Roche Harbor which is another historic inn built in 1886.  The hotel was built around the original Hudson’s Bay Post with its one foot thick log walls which can be seen in a section of the hotel.  It was built by John McMillan who bought the original lime company which had been built by the British during their occupation on the island during the Pig Way.  Dale and Sharon occupied the President’s Room where Theodore Roosevelt had stayed.  The ladies room on the second floor contained a large old-fashioned bathtub which John Wayne used to bathe in.    

We had dinner at the Madrona Bar & Grill which was downstairs in the home John McMillan built for his family.  The upstairs contained the McMillan dining room restaurant.  The home overlooked the Harbor.  


Thursday we left the Hotel de Haro to catch the ferry to Sidney.  The weather was wet and drizzly but at least it wasn’t cold.  We stopped by British Camp on the way to the ferry.  Looked around Friday Harbor before getting on the ferry.  When we got to Sidney we drove to our motel, had dinner.  While we enjoyed the Historic Hotels, they were all beautiful; it was kind of nice to have a modern room with a shower and full bathroom facilities in our room.  Just convenient. 

Friday we went to the Butterfly Garden.  It was beautiful, tropical plants, and exotic butterflies.  Then we went to Butchart Gardens.  The weather was misty but not cold and windy.  Everyone had some sort of rain gear and when we parked our cars garden personnel gave each one of us an umbrella.  I was afraid the garden would not be as pretty as they are during the summer but it was gorgeous.  Mary found out the fall garden looks just like the summer garden except that they take out the petunias and replace them with chrysanthemums.  There were not as many roses on the rose bushes but the rose garden was still beautiful. 

We were fortunate to be able to get reservations for tea in the garden tearoom.  The guys were very solicitous of us girls and seemed to enjoy the tea as much as we did.  It WAS an experience.  The food was delicious and we were treated like royalty.  Those English know how to do a “tea party”.  

We boarded the Anacortes ferry about 6:00 and arrived in Anacortes about 8:30.  Fred and Mary stayed with her sister in Anacortes, Russ and Jane decided to drive home and arrived home about 1:30 a.m.  Langdons and Petersons drove to Rosario Marine Station where there trucks and trailers were. 

It was a wonderful trip.  We all enjoyed the sights, the pleasant company and the island people enjoyed the Model-Ts.  One time we passed a man standing by the side of the road and he saluted the T’s as they went past.  A big thank you goes to Dale for planning the tour.  He did a marvelous job.   

Submitted by Jane Armstrong

Lessons Learned the Hard Way

Dale Peterson

     Once a good shop to work in and a job that allowed for time to work on that first Model T, restoration progressed on my first T, Christened "Daisy" after the film, Driving Miss Daisy.  Soon it was time to start her up for the first time in the spring of 2005.  Since I had no starter and the engine was still rather tight, it was decided to use some persuasion.  With the help of Bill Betz and Herb Mettler Daisy was prepared for the event.  A rope was attached to the front of Daisy, a seat was strapped to the top of the gas tank, and with the oil topped off and gas in the tank we were ready to fire her up.  It only took about 1 block to get her to start and all seemed to be going reasonably well until we looked behind.  There was not a little oil but a flood of oil emanating from the side of the hog's head.  When I loaded up the car in Boise, I had been given an aluminum transmission cover and had decided that if I was going to rebuild one, I would just as soon do this one rather than the cast iron one that was in place.  It seemed that there was a barely visible crack in the side but with all the oil that the transmission slings around inside, about 1 1/2 quart found its was onto the streets of College Place in that first 2 block drive.  So not wanting to cause trouble with the street department or chance running out of oil, we shut it down and off came the cover and to the machine shop to have it heli arc welded.  That is when I learned that the "aluminum" of the day was not pure aluminum but rather a crude alloy of aluminum.  The repair has held with the help of a little JB Weld to disguise the repair.

   Six more months of work and the body was mated to the running gear and with the transmission cover repaired, it was time to start it up again.  What a wonderful feeling it was to finally get to drive my own T!  It seemed to be performing well and after a few minor adjustments, it was ready to load up and take a trip back home to Idaho and a drive with Uncle LaVar.  In southern Idaho  along the Snake river there are several roads down into the canyon that make nice drives to test out  a T.  We set out from Wendell to Shoshone Falls and were enjoying the beautiful spring weather.  However, once at the bottom, Daisy started to have problems with overheating and was struggling to make it up the hills.  But since the car had set for some time, we figured that it just needed a little tightening of the slow speed band and was soon doing some better but still just barely made it up the hill out of the canyon.  A little discouraging for my first "tour," but it was still a lot of fun to go for a drive with Uncle LaVar who had helped me to find the car and encouraged me through the restoration.

   Once home, Daisy was unloaded and readied to move into the garage.  On the way up the drive, a load clicking started in the transmission, but it had to wait until later for an inspection of the problem.  The Three Rivers Model T Club was planning a tour to Joseph, Oregon a few weeks later, so it was not long until I found time to check out the clicking.  Daisy was started up, the reverse peddle depressed to back out of the garage and everything stopped, the engine killed every time I tried to back up, clicking whenever moving forward.  Now after 15 years of restoration work, this was pretty discouraging.  All I could think was that something bad had happened to th transmission and was going to require major work.  Off came the inspection cover and I discovered a missing finger adjusting screw and one that was almost out, cocked at an angle that caused it to lock against the clutch shaft when turning in reverse.  In my mind, this was still going to necessitate some major work, but after a call to Uncle LaVar I decided to try an in car repair.   Surprisingly, I was able to get the screws replaced and adjusted easily and was even able to run a tap in to repair the threads damaged by the bent screw.  Oil drained, the missing screw removed and the car drove better than ever!  It seemed that when the transmission had been overhauled the cotter pins had not been replaced.  Cotter pins were replaced and she made it up the hills to Joseph without any slippage and, low and behold, it didn't over heat nearly as bad!

   Lesson learned this time?  Never assume someone else has placed the cotter pins or safety wire, always check for yourself.  Oh, and it helps to be familiar with these issues on the Model T.   The rattles and vibrations will loosen up anything that could possibly come loose; not may, but will.  One learns more and more about this wonderful little car with each drive and subsequent repair and maintainance job required to keep them on the road

Make a free website with Yola